Monday, August 16, 2010

Nobody Rocks Lobster Like Maine


Whilst on vacation in New Hampshire, Tammy's sister took us on a trip to Maine for a romp around the Kittery Mall, which was actually really cool. For those who have never been there, the Kittery Mall is just a bunch of mini malls with factory outlet stores all within walking distance of each other. So after a while of walking around, we became hungry. Luckily for us, there was this awesome place called Bob's Clams which was considerably less expensive than this other place called Robert's (I think) that was shaped like a lighthouse and would've set us back about $30 per plate.



I've never had lobster before in my life, for many reasons. They're awfully expensive, especially now that the Gulf of Mexico has been turned into another Volga river. My sister is highly allergic to shellfish, and since she and I used to share our food regularly, Lobster was out of the question. Plus, looking at their sad little faces in that tank, all stacked up on top of each other with their claws in rubber bands... it pissed me off. It kind of disgusted me to think about eating them when all I wanted was to set them free. (Yeah, I'm a hippie at heart, go fuck yourself)

Anyway, Tammy, her mom, her sister and I were only in Maine for a few hours and I didn't know when I'd get another chance to be there. Live for the moment... when in Rome...you're heard all that jazz before but that day I decided to put all those cheesy sayings into practice.



When I saw the sign for Lobster roll with french fries at $13.95, I went for it. And boy, I'm glad I did. Lobster meat tastes sort of like crab, only with a meatier texture and a slightly sweeter taste. It was really good. I couldn't even wait to dig in; I remembered to get out the camera halfway through the meal. lol

Does this mean I'm going to pick out and cook up those poor little lobsters floating around in those dirty tanks at my local supermarket? Hell no. I couldn't kill one of those guys, are you kidding?? I won't even kill a house spider, I'd rather bring it outside and set it free. I always said that if I had to kill my own food, I'd be a vegetarian.




Aw, lookit that miserable little face. {=..(

All in all, my trip to New England was really great. I didn't want to come home. I loved everything about New Hampshire; the grass was greener, the air was sweeter and cleaner, the people were nicer, it was just awesome. Tammy's sister is an amazing cook and aside from harassing poor Tams about not eating enough fruit, she was a gracious hostess. She made us some delicious meals including this one:



All I know is that she got this out of a Rachael Ray recipe book, it was originally supposed to have chicken, but she splurged over $20 for these jumbo shrimp instead. I wanted to get the recipe but sadly, it slipped my mind. I do know that it was a cream sauce with a shrimp stock base, and included capers, which is another thing I hadn't tried before. (They added a certain something to this dish) I'll take a look around and see if I can't find it somewhere online. I would definitely recommend you try it, even if it's with the chicken.

Did you know that New Hampshire has no state tax? *Sighs* I need to get my damn driver's license. The moral of this story is that if you're ever in Maine, try the lobster rolls. It'll be worth the guilt, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment