Saturday, August 7, 2010

Ghetto Beef Bourguignon

If I had bacon instead of red peppers, and a few more hours to braise the beef, this would have been a lot more legit, but all I really wanted was a dish to use up the rest of the mushrooms, onions and garlic on. The result?



Shazam! And no, there's no real gravy left. I did it that way on purpose because I've been trying to cut down on our intake of fatty sauces/gravies. It was pretty good like this, but I admit I did miss the gravy. But le sigh, such is the diet life.



We actually went out to get more mushrooms for this dish, seeing as how I only had a half a portobello cap leftover from those pizza bagels I baked up for brunch. What you see there is both portobello and white button chopped into random shapes. I could have used a food chopper for this, but I actually prefer to cut veggies by hand. It sounds weird, but it gives me more of a connection with the food; it's more natural, old fashioned, dare I say even primal? It just feels right to me. I'll probably be doing it until I die.

Anyway, here are the ingredients:


About 2 cups skirt steak, sliced into strips
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves Garlic, diced
1 whole red pepper, rinsed, seeded, deveined and sliced into strips  (in retrospect, this was overpowering, made the dish into more of a stew than a bourguignon. I would suggest you use bacon or potatoes)
1/2 portobello cap and about 8 white button mushrooms, chopped into wedges
1 small package of frozen chopped broccoli
Red wine (A lot, I didn't measure)
3 Tbspns Worcestershire sauce 
1/2 Cup Beef stock
Sage, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and parsley
1 Tbspn Margarine





Method:
1. Sear the onions, garlic, peppers and meat until browned. As you can see, mine didn't exactly brown, and it pissed me off. I decided fuck it and just poured all the liquids in after a while.

2. Add the mushrooms and spices, mixing well. Allow the meat and veggies to cook and the liquid to reduce. I just kept adding more wine to soak the meat and allow it to get tender.

3. After about 40 minutes to an hour, when the liquid is running dry, add the frozen broccoli right into the pot and stir until all the ice is melted. Give it another splash of wine and maybe a dash of worcestershire sauce, mix well and cover. Let the liquid simmer and reduce a little more. 

4. In another 10 minutes, uncover and stir. Whip up a side dish, preferably instant mash because you're as lazy as I am. Cut the heat and serve the stew/ghetto bourguignon over the potatoes.





It's so good, it'll make you wanna slap yo mama!

...And for dessert?
Blue Raspberry Jello! Something there's ALWAYS room for. I admit, this is my indulgence, I have this maybe once or twice a year. I'm seriously going to have to go on a walk or something today to work off all this crap. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment