Saturday, August 7, 2010

Mal's Answer to wenchie's Pizza Bagels

My friend, wenchie a.k.a. nymphie posted her tea time bagel pizza recipe on the Valley and I promised to post one of my own, so here goes.






I had slightly different ingredients to work with, but they still came out pretty good. Now just so you know, my usual recipe for these involves only pizza sauce and cheese, but I wanted to try them wenchie's way.




Ingredients:
3 bagels
Margarine
1/2 that portobello mushroom cap
3 garlic cloves, diced
1/4 medium onion
4 artichoke hearts
1 cup organic cherry tomatoes
1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Grated parmesano-romano cheese
Thyme, basil, pepper and parsley to taste (I didn't measure)

Method:
Chop and mix all the veggies, herbs and spices in a big mixing bowl
Preheat oven to 400 F
Spread margarine over bagels, then the veggie mixture evenly over the bagels.
Sprinkle shredded mozzarella evenly over bagels, then pamesan-romano, and a little parsley for color.
Bake bagels in 400 F oven for about 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Serve and enjoy!





These were all I had to work with, which didn't all cut very well, but I wasn't about to go out and buy a big tomato and let these go to waste. They were actually very sweet, if a bit too delicate.



If you've never tried marinated artichoke hearts, I suggest you do so. These were tender and flavorful, and the spiced oil gave the mixture the perfect spreadable consistency. Of course you can work with dry artichoke hearts, but they should be at least partially cooked first.



Om nom nom nom!! My slammin' mixture was good enough to have on it's own. I put the spices right in there along with a few sprinkles of cheese. The aroma of it was staggering.



Putting margarine on my pizza bagels was a bit counter-intuitive to me, but I didn't have garlic paste and the butter helped keep the veggies on the bagels while they cooked. 



My bagels all vegged out. I'd say the margarine did the trick, don't you?



After the veggies went on, so too did the cheese. I sprinkled a but more parmesan-romano and parsley on top for complexity and color.



The result was sheer art. These were so good. Tams and I split them and even though she's not a big fan of artichokes, she still said they were, and I quote, "yummy", which is Tammy speak for delicious. Thanks, wenchie for this recipe! I'm going to post this up on my GR page and see what the other foodies think. It will be a featured hit for sure!

Do try this at home.

1 comment:

  1. Pizza bagels are my family’s mouth-watering traditional treats and good thing is I’m the only one who’s not lazy enough to stay at the kitchen so I get the most! I’ve done various experiments but I haven’t tried artichokes. This one of the things that keep customers coming back for more from their favorite restaurant Fort Lauderdale or bagel shop owners - the flavors that they cannot find anywhere else. With this recipe and me looking at just how good the bagel pizzas are, I will give the kitchen a dash tonight. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete