Sunday, October 17, 2010

I Stand Corrected

Do you know what that is? It's the new most disgusting, disturbing food I've ever heard of in my life. I know that on my countdown of 11 Most Disgusting Foods I said the grossest was dog and cat, but I think from a certain perspective, this takes the proverbial cake.

You won't ever guess what horrible thing is in between those pieces of bread so I'll just spell it out for you.

 It's human placenta, folks. Human. That's us, in case you're wondering. Yes, people eat it. In fact, it's the only meat that vegans are allowed to eat because it doesn't harm animals in it's "production". *Gags*

Placentophagy isn't practiced in the US very much anymore, but it's said to be a sacred experience. The psychology surrounding the consumption of placenta is that since it nourishes the baby throughout the pregnancy, it must be loaded with nutrients, right? Well, there's no scientific evidence to support it, but hey, anything's possible. Animals like dogs, cats and goat eat their own placentas, which some say contains a chemical to contract the uterus. Luckily for humans, breastfeeding and the drug Pitocin do the same thing.

I found a lot of this info on Cecil Adam's page, The Straight Dope, in which I also found this placenta recipe.

"Grind placenta. Saute in 2T olive oil w/4 garlic cloves, then add 1/4 tsp. fennel, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1/4 tsp. paprika, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. onion, minced, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/4 tsp. thyme and 1/4 cup wine. Allow to stand 30 min., then use with your favorite homemade pizza recipe. It's a fine placenta sausage topping!"

Umm...yummeh? He also warns that placenta can spread AIDS and hepatitis, and before eating a placenta you should always inspect both mother and child for any transmittable diseases. Wow, thanks, Cecil. I'll be sure to do that next time I'm at a placenta superbowl party.

No comments:

Post a Comment