Wednesday, May 19, 2010

How I Learned To Just Relax And Love The Hummus



My entire life was spent avoiding this stuff like the plague. Not terribly sure why; it's a peculiar thing because I really like chick peas, and I like falafel, which is also made with chick peas. Although the concept of creamed chick peas in my mouth revolted me, and has always rang in my head like something old Middle-Eastern people are fed in an old age home when their last tooth falls out. The whole yuppie vegitarian hummus trend only made it worse. I'm the type that seeks to go against the grain, harboring in the mentality that if all the stuck up dillschnicks are doing it, I'd be smart to do the opposite. (And why not? It's done wonders for me thus far.)

Lately, I've been having a change of heart about the kosher yuppie food. My glare's been lingering on it on my way past the isle at the supermarket these past few weeks. I even picked it up and examined the package a few times. "Hummus? Yuck." My girlfriend would grimace. I'd reluctantly agree, put it back and move on. Although since I changed to a healthier lifestyle and cut out most of the things I used to love, I've been compelled to expand my diet to include foods I've never tried before, perhaps to even things out. Today when she and I went food shopping, the package of Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus was staring me in the face holding up a nice, pretty sale sign. The little 4.5oz container that was usually $2.49 was now a dollar off, and I could no longer resist. I picked one up and took it home, just to try it. And then I waited until I was absolutely starving before I tried it. This way, even if I didn't like it too much, I'd still force it down as to not waste the money.

The one I got looked exactly like this, having a separate compartment with these little "O" pretzels to dip in the hummus. I opened it with a sigh and prepared for the worst. I thought I could easily just add a hundred different sauces and spices to it in case it sucked. Then I smelled it, and it didn't seem that bad, so I dipped and tasted....and I'll never be the same again.

It wasn't just good, it was fucking delicious. I thought it was just because of the pretzels, but I frantically went through my pantry and tried it with every conceivable bread, chip and cracker product I could find, and it was STILL fucking delicious. I had it with multigrain crackers. I had it with Wasa bread. I had it with a granola bar. I had it with honey wheat twists, rice chex, melba toast, cheerios and quaker crisps. I even tried it with some leftover pasta from the fridge. I was heartbroken when I ran out of things to try it with, but finishing it with those light, delicate pretzels o's made me feel better. "Next time," I told myself, thinking of the family size container they have in stock.

I'm sitting here in complete shame for having denied myself the pleasure of hummus my entire life. Would trying it sooner have made me a better person? Not sure, but better late than never, right?

So because I don't have my own recipe yet, I'll include one from grouprecipes that looks really good, courtesy of Cookinmama.

Roasted Garlic Hummus
Ingredients
1 (30 ounce) can chickpeas, drained + rinsed
1 large head garlic, roasted shopping list
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp pesto
salt and pepper to taste

How to make it
Here is how you make the roasted garlic cloves: Take a head of garlic and cut off the top papery stuff until the cloves are exposed. Place the head on a sheet and drizzle with 2 tspns of olive oil and some salt and pepper (or any other seasonign). Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Once finished you can squeeze the cloves out of the head of garlic.
Place the cloves in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients and process until this is smooth. Add more olive oil to add moisture to the hummus.
Chill in the fridge before serving.
______________________________

Moral of the story; next time you see something you've never tried but think will be disgusting, man up and try it. You'll never know for sure until you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment